Do you share our passion for advocating
on behalf of those with Narcolepsy?
Join Our Team
Wake Up Narcolepsy is a mission-driven nonprofit dedicated to increasing Narcolepsy awareness, education and research toward improved treatments and cures. The organization seeks individuals for the below position(s) to help us fulfill our mission of serving those diagnosed with Narcolepsy and those working tirelessly to better understand this neurological sleep disorder. We invite you to apply for the below position(s).
Wake Up Narcolepsy, Inc.
Date Posted: March 2023
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic leadership and operational
responsibility for Wake Up Narcolepsy. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration,
programs and strategic plan for Wake Up Narcolepsy. Other key duties include fundraising, expansion, marketing,
grant disbursement and community outreach.
Wake Up Narcolepsy Inc. is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that aims to accelerate Narcolepsy
research, increase awareness and provide educational and supportive services for people with Narcolepsy and their
caregivers. Based in Massachusetts, Wake Up Narcolepsy was established in 2008 by three individuals closely
related to Narcolepsy to bring greater awareness to Narcolepsy, a rare and misunderstood, often misdiagnosed,
serious medical disorder, and ultimately find a cure.
Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading Wake Up Narcolepsy in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s
mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner,
all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Wake Up Narcolepsy’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Wake Up Narcolepsy, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
Compliance: Ensures all internal controls are met.
- Keep tabs all internal controls to ensure the organization complies with its fiduciary duties, financial plans, financial audits and tax filing.
- This requires regularly communicating with finance department and auditing firm, hiring reliable and trustworthy staff, and overseeing various financial records.
- Help Wake Up Narcolepsy identify and adopt technology solutions that maximize productivity and streamline processes.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for identifying and recommending grant funding disbursements to Narcolepsy investigators and affiliated institutions.
- Responsible for the implementation of Wake Up Narcolepsy’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Wake Up Narcolepsy can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Wake Up Narcolepsy’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for the effective administration of Wake Up Narcolepsy’s operations.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
Actual Job Responsibilities
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Serve as Wake Up Narcolepsy’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to
strategically enhance Wake Up Narcolepsy’s Mission.
- Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues.
- Review research grant applications from investigators and make recommendations for disbursement.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, advanced degree preferred
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic
future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including
funders, donors, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
Physical Demands: This job requires the employee to stand, stoop, bend, climb stairs, and lift up to 20lbs. The position requires fine motor skill of typing, writing, filing and visual acuity. This position requires the ability to speak clearly and understandably.
Work Environment: This is a full time remote position. 10-20% of time may be allocated for travel.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com