2018 Boston Marathon Application for Team WUNners Now Available- April 16, 2018
26.2 miles, 500+ hours of training, almost $145,000 in fundraising.
Wake Up Narcolepsy (WUN) is currently accepting applications to be a member of Team WUNners at the 2018 Boston Marathon. We are thrilled to share that April 16, 2018 will mark the ninth consecutive year that our team will participate in the John Hancock Boston Marathon Non-profit program to raise money for narcolepsy research. The funds raised are donated directly to narcolepsy researchers working to gain a deeper understanding of this serious medical disorder.
If you are interested in joining our team, please complete the registration form below. Please contact Lisa Theut, Operations Coordinator with any questions at (978) 751 – DOZE (3693).
Sleep Week 2017: April 23-29
Promote Narcolepsy research by sharing an alarming fact on social media. Every day, Wake Up Narcolepsy will post an alarming fact on Facebook that you can share with all of your friends to help spread awareness.
Wake Up Nashville – TBD
Host Your Own Event – Anytime!
Awareness is a grass roots effort that can spread far and wide. You’ll connect most effectively with others by sharing personal stories and gathering people together. Here are some event ideas for inspiration:
- Give a talk about Narcolepsy at your local school or group like the Chamber of Commerce, Senior Citizens Center or youth center
- Ask your local school principal for permission to display our Narcolepsy Goes to School brochures in the teacher’s lounge
- Plan a sleep walk/run in your community, with a short talk about Narcolepsy before the start of the event, and a Narcolepsy information table and free Narcolepsy giveaways, which we can provide
- Talk to your local librarian about hosting an awareness event. Most public libraries will post information about the activities of nonprofit organizations, such as NSAW and WUN.
- Add a “Narcolepsy Fast Facts” insert, which WUN can provide.
- Host a “courage party” to celebrate a young person with Narcolepsy.
- Adda brief Narcolepsy awareness message to your email signature, such as “Narcolepsy Izzzzz No Joke!” or “Let’s bring Narcolepsy out of the shadows!”
- Ask places of worship to include in their newsletters and bulletins an item announcing National Sleep Awareness Week, held annually in March.
- Send email “blasts” to family, friends, and colleagues about NSAW and ask them to pass it on.
- Host an event to raise awareness and money for research, such as a dance marathon, fashion show, slumber party, karaoke party…the sky’s the limit!
- Check out our WUN Store for t-shirts, bracelets and other items to help get you started. Wake Up Narcolepsy can help you organize and promote your local awareness events. Contact us at [email protected]
Narcolepsy Goes To School
WUN offers free, non-commercial, lay-language Narcolepsy Goes to School (NGS) workshops for school teachers and nurses. Narcolepsy is seriously underdiagnosed and poorly understood. It is not uncommon for 8-10 years to pass before a proper diagnosis is made. Consequently, school teachers and nurses, coaches and other educators often are the first to observe students with overwhelming sleepiness and other symptoms of Narcolepsy.
Promote Narcolepsy research by sharing an alarming fact on social media. Every day during Sleep Week from March 6-13, 2016, Wake Up Narcolepsy will post an alarming fact on Facebook that you can share with all of your friends to help spread awareness.